Writing as Adria Townsend and J. S. Laurenz

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Bella Andre Uncensored


Here are some quotes I swept up off the cutting room floor here at the Dime Store from the interview with Nyree Belleville, aka Bella Andre, Bella Riley and Lucy Kevin: 

The interview ran in the Albany Times Union on August 14, 2011:

“I’m happiest when I’m writing.  When I sink into a story those are my best hours.  My friends joke I’m the most bounce-back person.  I might be down one day but the next, I’m like—‘I’ve got plans!’  I think I’ve got a good sense of when to quit.  I used to be a singer/song-writer, I played with Crosby, Stills & Nash, I toured the world, and at some point, I said, ‘I think I’m sort of done with this.’  I was definitely bummed when my contract with Random House was not picked up again, but it was the best thing that ever happened, because I got into self-publishing.  It’s ridiculously rewarding.  I don’t say when a door closed a window opened—it’s like the whole wall flew off!”

“I have a copy editor who also does content when I need it and a proofer.  And my critique partners!  Last night I was on the phone for a couple hours with one of my critique partners and as a result of that I’m going to throw out my ending."

“It helps that I had 11 books out through publishers.  I know the reader set and the process.  The upside to self-publishing?  It’s fun, I can say, ‘I’m going to do whatever I want!’ But there are nice things about having a publisher, and an editor, someone at the end who gives you the final rubber stamp that means you’re done.  That’s the toughest part of self-publishing, looking at your book before it goes up and asking, ‘is this good enough?’”

“I’ve always felt if I give up I’m not there with my lottery ticket.  You have to keep plugging away.  Keep putting stuff out there.” 

“I check Kindle boards a couple times a day.  It’s my news source.  Amanda Brice was on there well before her book came out, being involved, taking note.  I can see why she’s taking off.  She was out there picking up the knowledge.  She came out already breaking into the upper 2,000.”


For more info on this fun and clever writer, visit her website: 

No comments:

Post a Comment